THE LONDON ROLLERGIRLS

no excuses - just great roller derby
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 9:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wheels - Specs & Such
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:14 am 
Skater

To throw an extra spanner in the works...

for really slippy floors (like the floor at CoLA) I actually use outdoor wheels.

Mine are similar to these:
http://www.everglides.co.uk/zc/index.ph ... cts_id=337

As you can see they are 78a so super soft. Normally outdoor wheels are too soft and sluggish for indoor, but when a floor is so slippy you are going sideways on your wheels they can be a cheaper solution than hybrids. I don't use bigger/heavier wheels because they acerbate a problem I have with my shins. Outdoor wheels are generally smaller and lighter, so they work great for me, and I'm used to narrow wheels.

It appears everglides have a few sets of poisons in stock both in wide and slim. I've not used Poisons, but the people I know with the Alloy Slim ones rave about them. I am happy with my cheapo outdoor wheels!

Alloy slim:
http://www.everglides.co.uk/zc/index.ph ... ts_id=1270

Normal:
http://www.everglides.co.uk/zc/index.ph ... ts_id=1269

RETIRED!!
Skater February 2008 - July 2013
LRG Alumni
Vigour Mortis wrote:
whenever anyone says your name my brain amends it to May Bedonkadonk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:26 am 

Raw Heidi wrote:
I haven't skated at Brixton for some time now but last time I did it was super slippy. If that's still the case then you'll want something a bit grippier than g-rods. People often skated on poisons, sugars and outdoor wheels i.e. hybrids or soft wheels.

Brilliant, now I just need to know if I need new bolts etc when changing wheels! Anarchy Mayhem Derby Skates are what I have...does anyone know if I need to now buy new bolts/fittings etc when I buy the Poisons? So many questions! Thank you for advice everyone, much appreciated...maybe I need to sit with someone at training on Saturday and have a lesson in nuts, bolts and changing of wheels...anyone??? :-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:28 am 

Brilliant, now I just need to know if I need new bolts etc when changing wheels! Anarchy Mayhem Derby Skates are what I have...does anyone know if I need to now buy new bolts/fittings etc when I buy the Poisons? So many questions! Thank you for advice everyone, much appreciated...maybe I need to sit with someone at training on Saturday and have a lesson in nuts, bolts and changing of wheels...anyone??? :-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:30 am 
Skater

Anna T wrote:
Raw Heidi wrote:
I haven't skated at Brixton for some time now but last time I did it was super slippy. If that's still the case then you'll want something a bit grippier than g-rods. People often skated on poisons, sugars and outdoor wheels i.e. hybrids or soft wheels.

You mean nuts? You don't need new ones, but it's a good idea to have spares because the more often you change your wheels you wear away the stuff on the inside that makes them grip. I had a wheel come off as I was about to go in a line up in a bout a few years back which resulted in me being pulled from the line up, and as a relatively weak player I didn't get to go out again for flipping ages. The best place to get your nuts from is here http://www.derbynuts.com/ which is run by a London Rollergirl. They are great quality.

RETIRED!!
LRG Alumni
Vigour Mortis wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:54 am 

Hi Anna- just to let you know, the first time I was at Brixton I used G rods but found them to be too slippy. I'm now on poisons and find them much better :)

If you need a hand changing wheels over then let me know

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:00 pm 
Skater/Head of Bout Planning

I've been in the Rec league for the last year skating at cola and now, recently Brixton. Both floors are horribly slippy. I can't actual think of anyone in the main Rec league who doesn't usually use one of thr following 3 wheels:

1) Outdoor (around 78A)
2) Poinsons (84A?? I think)
3) Black/ Maroon Heartless (88A/86A) - this is what I use.

Ask around see if you can try out all of the above and find out what you prefer most. This doesn't mean there are no other wheels that would be suitable but we all tried out loads of different ones and these always seem to be the prefernce of the majority.

Hope that helps.

Jo x

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:09 am 

Thanks Terror this is a nice little wheel dictionary, v v v useful :woohoo: :lrgscarf:
and i'll keep in my mind all the stuff and all the things you have posted here,,,,please do keep such posting as they are very useful as per my need.... :knit:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:39 am 
Skater

I took rec league last week at brixton, it was the first time in ages i'd skated there. I'd remembered it being like trying to play derby on ice on my old wheels (maroon/black heartless) so I tried my outdoor wheels instead (radar energy) and can report that they were spot on. I didn't feel like I was slipping at all.

So personally I would recommend outdoor wheels on that floor - they are smaller, lighter and a hell of a lot cheaper than poisons/sugars.

RETIRED!!
LRG Alumni
Vigour Mortis wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:40 am 
Skater

So can we practice on Sat again at Brixton? That would be so awesome.

Ok, Raw, you are right about this! You're the most sensible person in LRG :heart1:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:49 am 
Skater

Raw Heidi wrote:
So can we practice on Sat again at Brixton? That would be so awesome.

noooooo. I like sunday scrimmage.

RETIRED!!
LRG Alumni
Vigour Mortis wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:01 am 
Skater

Saturday scrimmage has added hang out time on the end though. I miss hanging out with you losers on a regular basis.

Ok, Raw, you are right about this! You're the most sensible person in LRG :heart1:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:06 am 

May B Twisted wrote:
So personally I would recommend outdoor wheels on that floor - they are smaller, lighter and a hell of a lot cheaper than poisons/sugars.

My Radar Ghosts (80A) are good at CoLA but way too 'squishy' for Brixton.. but maybe that's just the way I skate - all my power just feels like it's going straight into the floor. It's my birthday soon.. so Alloy Poisons are on the way..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:51 am 
Skater

B Litzkrieg wrote:
May B Twisted wrote:

My Radar Ghosts (80A) are good at CoLA but way too 'squishy' for Brixton.. but maybe that's just the way I skate - all my power just feels like it's going straight into the floor. It's my birthday soon.. so Alloy Poisons are on the way..

I think ghosts are hybrids rather than outdoor wheels, don't know if this makes a difference. I tried Sugars at CoLA which are also hybrids and didn't get on with them at all; much prefer the outdoor wheels. With any softer wheel you will sacrifice speed for grip though.

RETIRED!!
LRG Alumni
Vigour Mortis wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:16 pm 
Skater

Hi all,

RIGHT. My head is fizzing, but I am determined to get some wheels that i love! Im in fresh meat and using poisons, but not loving them. Cant put my finger on it cos i haven't tried too many wheels.... just feel a bit 'draggy' and like im working too hard to get speed....

At tottenham boot camp the other week I used my caymans that came with the R3s and felt sooo much better.

So after scouring the internet I feel like maybe i need less grip....slightly less, or a harder core?? anyway.... I have found two that i (think) might be better for me at Brixton/COLa and the like. If anyone can recommend either one of these, or any others I'm open to advice!! Stingers Vs Super Gs....

http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.p ... stinger-sb
http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.p ... stinger-sb

Thanks! Gem x

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:50 pm 

In need of some wheel advice please, I've been staring at all the different charts and reviews and I am even more confused than before...

I'm skating at both Maitlands and Hackney - both indoor wood floors (Maitlands being dusty though, and hackney a bit grippier) and plan to until the next boot camp/intake in November.

I currently have 2 sets of wheels :
Anarchy Brawlers (94A) which came with my skates
Kryptonic True (78A) My trusty outdoor wheels

I tried my Brawlers at Maitlands... very slippy... then I tried some Poisons... better but still a bit slippy... and finally my Trues, much better! However at Hackney last night on my Trues I felt like I was skating through mud - except on corners when I felt like I was skidding all over the place - but I think this could be down to the wheels not fitting on my trucks properly - or them sticking too much?

So I need some wheels that are grippier than Poisons, but less than my outdoors. Has anyone had any experience with Ghosts? Are they any good? or are there any others I should try?

I can use my Brawlers at Earls court for the intake, as I used them last time and they seemed ok, unless anyone can recommend anything better? (but I assume ghosts would be too grippy?)

Very grateful for any/all advice!! Thanks.
Rachel
x

PS also - cushions... I was thinking about maybe getting some new ones - any advice on which hardness I'd need - again I just have the black ones that came with my havocs?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next