THE LONDON ROLLERGIRLS

no excuses - just great roller derby
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 11:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wheels - Specs & Such
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:13 pm 
Skater

7mm or 8mm is the inside size rather than the sized for the wheel. *most* roller skates in the UK will need an 8mm bearing.

7mm are for (in the main) higher end plates like roll-line and snyder.

you will probably want 8mm bearings, which i have heard rumour are going cheap on amazon atm :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:41 pm 

MaxP wrote:
Hi Kiz

I think I'm going to get some new bearings - do you recommend the 7mm or 8mm with Poisons?

x

Hiya Max. Ditto, what Vigour say's...... You'll need 8mm with your R3's. You can swap the bearings from your Caymens into the Poisons if you want. The bearings that come with the R3's are Kwik Abec 5. I have kept these for when i skate outdoors & i have put new Abec 9's in my Poisons & keep them for skating indoors only. You will need 8mm bearings because of the hangers that are fitted on the R3's. Bones Reds bearings are generally the recommended choice (don't forget, you will need 16, 2 per wheel). A cheaper option, & what i have in my Poisons at the moment, are Enuff Abec 9's. I bought these from E-bay. Hope this helps. Had so much fun yesterday, can't wait for next Saturday now! See you then.

Kizzie. xx :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:44 pm 

What's the general consensus on wheels for Brixton?

My Ghosts are just way too soft and sluggish there - although I definitely find the floor far more forgiving than CoLA and I like the grip (so maybe using them as pushers would help - but then what to mix them with?).. I know some favour Heartless Red/Purple combo but are there any other tips? I'm lost in a world of durometers right now. I don't really want to buy Poisons either.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:52 pm 
Skater

B Litzkrieg wrote:
What's the general consensus on wheels for Brixton?

My Ghosts are just way too soft and sluggish there - although I definitely find the floor far more forgiving than CoLA and I like the grip (so maybe using them as pushers would help - but then what to mix them with?).. I know some favour Heartless Red/Purple combo but are there any other tips? I'm lost in a world of durometers right now. I don't really want to buy Poisons either.

Poisons, Sugars, soft heartless (I don't skate on heartless so don't know colour/durometer) or outside wheels. I use some crappy outdoor I wheels I bought many moons ago and they're by far my favourite on uber slippy surfaces.

Ok, Raw, you are right about this! You're the most sensible person in LRG :heart1:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:59 am 

I want to get some Atom Poisons for Brixton, but not sure whether the standard width or the slim ones are best to get, can anyone help? x

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:08 am 
Skater

My rave wheels at Brixton were purple and red heartless. Hybrids are too sluggish and didn't allow me to plow.

I hate hybrid wheels.

:alaska:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:43 pm 
Ultraviolent Femmes Co-Captain

hayleyanne wrote:
I want to get some Atom Poisons for Brixton, but not sure whether the standard width or the slim ones are best to get, can anyone help? x

Slim wheels are generally regarded as allowing you to be more agile and steppy, I guess simply because there's less there weighing you down/sticking out ready to get clipped on other people's skates, etc. I moved from standard width to narrow after about 6ish months of skating and didn't find that I'd lost any stability or anything. I'd say go narrow - chances are you'll never look back!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:33 pm 

Thanks! I went for the slim ones, I just tested them outside and I like! Just have to wait and see if I like them at Brixton!

Post subject: Re: All About Wheels
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:28 am 

wyrdsisterz wrote:
Kitty DeCapitate wrote:
I am wearing G-Rods as my grippy wheels at our training venues, but Blue Tuners on the 'outside'. I switched to Trackers on the outside just for our trial at Brixton, since it was more slippery than our other training surfaces.
However I will never ever wear G-Rods again at Tottenham as it is waaaaay to grippy, so I LOVE the Trackers as my pushers and Tuners as the others. I am thinking of switching to ALL Tuners though.

It is totally personal preference. Alot of us go through stages with how we like to feel whilst skating. Definitely having grippier wheels when you're first starting out makes a huge difference. You can control yourself a bit more and don't feel like you are going to sliiiiiiide out on the turns, which makes you lose speed. Our Bout venue is so grippy compared to our practice venue, so if you are using G-Rods at our practice venues, and really like how they feel, you may find your style of skating is altered at our Bout venue. Plows are really hard to do, changing direction quickly is harder, you get less momentum for hits if you are a smaller lady. but then again, some people really like the ability to 'jump' around with a stepping/skating type of style. I know alot of the SuffraJets who wore GRods at Tottenham during our last Bout, hated them.

anyway, ra ra ra, wheels wheels wheels. what a minefield!

Too true, as a newbie my head a bit spinny reading all this, i've got soooo much to learn, also my bank balance, I have a budget for a kit but i've already spent 120 on elbow, knees and shorts padding and i haven't bought any of the kit yet :waaah: , I have quite a bit of time until i'm up to any ability so hopefully I could get the right advice, so as a newbie I'd proberbly require plenty of grip (not sure) (will see).

Hello, I am a newbie too and I too am still trying to get my head around all the different types of wheels and their codes/names! The floor at Brixton is very slippery, I feel as though I am just gliding around the track, I can feel the difference when I am in the Derby position and pushing my left leg out, but still slide a hell of a lot. So, in terms of wheels, I am still not too sure...maybe I should borrow someone's skates at the end of practice for a few minutes and feel the difference? Anyway, loving the experience of Derby and have experienced my first bruise on my hip...woo! Anna T.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:24 pm 

What do you skate on Anna?

If you're low on £££ - try outdoor wheels at Brixton for more grip (Radar Zens are quite cheap I think? Or anything 78-85A shouldn't be too expensive)

Amazing Skates have the cheapest deal on Poisons if you want to join the hybrid crew http://shop.amazingskates.co.uk/atoms-p ... -279-p.asp - get in touch to ask about stock levels though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:30 pm 

They don't have Poisons, and don't seem too optimistic about getting them in. They said when I e-mailed them - "Not sure when poisons will be back in stock. the last order took 4 months to get to me. Wish I could be more helpful."

Meh.

- The Horrorpops

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:01 am 

For the surface at Brixton, do you think that Atom G-Rods 62mm - 44mm 93a wheels will be grand? I am not sure what to buy and want to be sure before spending £80! Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:03 am 
Skater

I haven't skated at Brixton for some time now but last time I did it was super slippy. If that's still the case then you'll want something a bit grippier than g-rods. People often skated on poisons, sugars and outdoor wheels i.e. hybrids or soft wheels.

Ok, Raw, you are right about this! You're the most sensible person in LRG :heart1:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:06 am 
Skater/Head of Web

copenhagen_refugee wrote:
They don't have Poisons, and don't seem too optimistic about getting them in. They said when I e-mailed them - "Not sure when poisons will be back in stock. the last order took 4 months to get to me. Wish I could be more helpful."

Meh.

Billys usually have them in stock. http://billys.co.uk/english/group.php?p ... ato-poison

#04 Fox Sake

geek-in-chief : boring finance type : forum admin : social media monkey : WFTDA rep : chronic pie-fingerer : printer lady mostly retired

"Do what you want and live with the consequences." -- Alice Munro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:07 am 

B Litzkrieg, thanks for your reply, only just saw it and still geting used to the layout and understanding of this forum. I am training at Brixton mainly and will be outdoor at times too. The skates I got are Anarchy Mayhem Derby Skates and I am currently still using the wheels that they came with..but the floor at Brixton is so slippery that I feel like I am just gliding around itand think I need more grip. I am doing ok with everything, but know that I should really try another type of wheel, so thank you for your comment, I shall have another hunt online, with fingers crossed!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next