THE LONDON ROLLERGIRLS

no excuses - just great roller derby
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: WHAT YOU WILL NEED!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:02 pm 
Skater

Fiery_Ice wrote:
Hello everyone,

I just joined the forum and I think I may be suffering from information overload! I have read about wheel specs and different grips for surfaces and my mind is BOGGLING.

Ok, here's my issue; I have never, EVER skated before and I would really love to get some practice in before May (rec).

1. Would I need different wheels for skating outside and inside (i.e. parks and roller discos)?
2. What kinds? (Do I need to know all the wheels specs for now?)
3. Once I get on skates, what should I work on and how? (Stance, speed, stamina, etc?)

THANKS!

1. In general, yes. If you've read our wheel thread by Auntie Terror you'll see there are hybrids, such as Sugars, which can be used both indoors and outdoors. If going from out to in, it's good to make sure they're clean to protect the floor surface.

2. It's kind of down to personal preference. When I first started, I got a cheap set of outdoor wheels on ebay and upgraded my indoor wheels by buying some from another skater.

3. I should probably let someone else answer this more fully, but in general it's good to work on skating low by bending your knees and engaging your core (ab) muscles. Stamina is always good. Balance too - see if you can glide on one skate. Staying low helps!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:21 pm 
Skater

Learning how to stop is important as well as all the things Erin's posted. Especially as you're really starting out fresh from the get go. T-stop, derby stop, plow stop. There should be some examples of these on YouTube. Happy skating! :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:58 pm 

Thank you so much for replying, guys. I have already looked at some Youtube vids - itching to get started.

Erin, I will try to upload photographic evidence of what I am sure will be a very impressive set of bruises on FB soon!

Stupid question: I read from somewhere, Ena that derby rollers don't necessarily have the stops in front of the quads cos they interfere with speeds? This true? (That's been bugging me. My park is a hill).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:18 pm 
Skater

Fiery_Ice wrote:
Thank you so much for replying, guys. I have already looked at some Youtube vids - itching to get started.

Erin, I will try to upload photographic evidence of what I am sure will be a very impressive set of bruises on FB soon!

Stupid question: I read from somewhere, Ena that derby rollers don't necessarily have the stops in front of the quads cos they interfere with speeds? This true? (That's been bugging me. My park is a hill).

Some skaters do skate without toe stops, but not too many in our league. It really depends on the skater. As far as speed goes, I can't answer that. I do know there are many skaters in the US and UK who skate without them but I wouldn't suggest you taking yours off at this stage :wink: especially outside.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:58 pm 

Fox Sake wrote:
**updated May 2008**

If you want specific advice/recommendations/have found a bargain on ebay and want to check it's kosher, post in this forum and we'll do what we can to help you. See you at practice! :)

Are these any good for starters or do I need to get skates that cover ankles?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 662wt_1165

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:09 am 
Skater

Fiery_Ice wrote:
Fox Sake wrote:
**updated May 2008**

If you want specific advice/recommendations/have found a bargain on ebay and want to check it's kosher, post in this forum and we'll do what we can to help you. See you at practice! :)

Are these any good for starters or do I need to get skates that cover ankles?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 662wt_1165

Those ones are fine as starter skates, you definitely do NOT want skates that cover your ankles. Get some better wheels as soon as you can though, you don't have to spend a lot of money.

Ok, Raw, you are right about this! You're the most sensible person in LRG :heart1:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:43 am 
Skater/Director

Fiery_Ice wrote:

Hey, have you seen these videos?

http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_1641_play ... derby.html

I'm a complete noob too and these have given me a bit more of an idea of the things I need to work on when i finally get my skates.

Suffra Jet fo' life

Director

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:13 pm 

Hannah, you are now my bff.

These vids are brill! Just what the doctor ordered. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:54 pm 
Skater/Director

How much do Reidell R3's stretch and give? I'm usually a 7/8 in shoes depending on manufacturer. I tried on a pair of size 7 R3's the other week and they were tight but not uncomfortable, however the 8's felt pretty big. Obviously I'll be wearing with socks and tights etc so maybe the 8's would be fine however, I'm just worried that if the shoes stretch a lot the 8's will again become too big, in which I'll get the 7's.

Sorry that comment was long and muddled.

Suffra Jet fo' life

Director

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:00 pm 
Skater

hannah wrote:
How much do Reidell R3's stretch and give? I'm usually a 7/8 in shoes depending on manufacturer. I tried on a pair of size 7 R3's the other week and they were tight but not uncomfortable, however the 8's felt pretty big. Obviously I'll be wearing with socks and tights etc so maybe the 8's would be fine however, I'm just worried that if the shoes stretch a lot the 8's will again become too big, in which I'll get the 7's.

they don't really stretch because they aren't leather however the synthetic padding inside does breakdown which eventually makes them looser. the best thing to do is to try on some if you can which means visiting a shop - you can always try and then tell them you are having a think and go buy online if cheaper.

also... you don't always get told this when you start but if you read the riedell site and skate forums and such you will find that they tell you the skates should fit VERY snugly. as in you shouldn't have a whole lot of room for your feet to move about or toe room like you might have in a pair of sneakers or something. your longest toe should pretty much come right to the end of the skate. not everyone likes this but since most skates do stretch out a bit after a while they aren't that crazy snug anymore.

but again - try stuff on if you can before you commit to any particular size. especially as R3s do not come in half sizes so you are going a whole size up or down every time.

:alaska:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:06 pm 
Skater

hannah wrote:

Were you wearing socks when you tried on the size 7s? If the 8s felt big I would NOT get those. You want your skates pretty snug. R3s are vinyl so supposedly won't stretch as much as leather boots, but when I had R3s I found that the inner lining compresses after a while so the skates end up feeling more loose, and it sucked (until I upgraded, woohoo).

Edit: silly forum didn't tell me Terror got her reply in before mine. :nyah:

Last edited by Erin No Bragh on Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:07 pm 
Skater/Director

auntie terror wrote:
hannah wrote:

they don't really stretch because they aren't leather however the synthetic padding inside does breakdown which eventually makes them looser. the best thing to do is to try on some if you can which means visiting a shop - you can always try and then tell them you are having a think and go buy online if cheaper.

also... you don't always get told this when you start but if you read the riedell site and skate forums and such you will find that they tell you the skates should fit VERY snugly. as in you shouldn't have a whole lot of room for your feet to move about or toe room like you might have in a pair of sneakers or something. your longest toe should pretty much come right to the end of the skate. not everyone likes this but since most skates do stretch out a bit after a while they aren't that crazy snug anymore.

but again - try stuff on if you can before you commit to any particular size. especially as R3s do not come in half sizes so you are going a whole size up or down every time.

Great advice, thank you. The size 7s I tried on were very snug and going on your advice the 8s would be far too big, so I shall go for the 7s and skate my heart out. :skate:

Suffra Jet fo' life

Director

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:12 pm 
Skater/Director

Erin No Bragh wrote:
hannah wrote:

Were you wearing socks when you tried on the size 7s? If the 8s felt big I would NOT get those. You want your skates pretty snug. R3s are vinyl so supposedly won't stretch as much as leather boots, but when I had R3s I found that the inner lining compresses after a while so the skates end up feeling more loose, and it sucked (until I upgraded, woohoo).

Edit: silly forum didn't tell me Terror got her reply in before mine. :nyah:

:D I was wearing tights, but they weren't very thick. I'd rather be extra snug than falling out of the skates so 7's it is.

Suffra Jet fo' life

Director

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:03 am 

How do I work out sizing for rollerskates are they the same as trainers?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:15 pm 
Skater/Director

Diane wrote:
How do I work out sizing for rollerskates are they the same as trainers?

the sizes are actually US Men's sizes, so its not an exact correlation to UK women's sizes unfortunately.

Best to post on here what you wear, and gals here could tell you what might work.

Kitty DeCapitate wrote:
You are actually probably right. You win!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next