THE LONDON ROLLERGIRLS

no excuses - just great roller derby
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:19 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wheels - Specs & Such
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:01 pm 
Head Referee

I would say that G-Rods are probably not quite grippy enough for Brixton, but give them a go and see how you work out. The floor there wasn't as bad as I remember it being back in the day, but the ideal wheels for it are probably Poisons, Sugars or the grippy end of the Heartless range.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:55 pm 

Cheers guys, I was looking at poisons but I'll give the g rods a go first and see how I go

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:44 pm 
Skater

Whats the benefit of G-Rods over poisons? Im starting at Brixton this week and dont want to get the wrong wheels.....

thanks, x

Gem

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:44 pm 

I've got 2 G rods and 2 D rods on each skate, I have no idea what this means but I guess I'll find out if they are too slippy on Saturday!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:19 am 

Hayley i think they'll be too slippy. I might have some spares I can lend you if you like

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:23 am 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAIME! :caaaaaake: I'll send you a facebook message x

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:15 pm 

Gemstar wrote:
Whats the benefit of G-Rods over poisons? Im starting at Brixton this week and dont want to get the wrong wheels.....

thanks, x

Gem

Hey Gem. The G-rods have a higher durometer of 93a, which makes them harder than the Poisons which are 84a. Generally, for a slippery floor, you would want wheels which offer you more grip. The softer the wheel, the more grip it gives. The higher the durometer number, the harder the wheel. The Poisons are Hybrid wheels, which means they are not as soft as outdoor wheels, (which are usually around 78a) but softer than alot of indoor wheels. They are "the happy medium" between the two & can be used both indoor & outdoor if you wish. Outdoor wheels will give you alot of grip, but your roll & speed will be compromised a little on that surface & they may feel too grippy, which is why Poisons or hybrid type wheels are the recommended choice for places like Brixton & CoLA. Higher durometer wheels may tend to be too slippery & make you feel unstable, like you are going to slide out, especially round corners or doing crossovers. It's really up to you whether you want "grip" or "slip", but as a newbie, i think it's recommended to have more grippy wheels in the beginning. I think even your outdoor wheels will be better for you at Brixton than the Caymens that come with the R3's. You could always just bring all your wheels to try for yourself which you prefer. Hope that helps a little :)

xx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:02 pm 
Referee

If you are skating at Brixton or CoLA you want grippy wheels (especially if new to skating). The lower the durometer, the gripppier the wheel. Durometers etc of wheel are listed in the first post of this thread. If you are going to mix wheels (aka use 4 as 'pushers') then the grippier (softer, lower durometer, 'pusher') wheels go on the left side of both skates (or as we say the 'inside' when skating derby direction/counter clockwise).

Basically for CoLA or Brixton you want Poisons, Sugars or possibly outdoor wheels.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:03 pm 
Skater

Thanks all! x

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:30 am 

Hey, so long forward to the first Brixton sesh. Just got my poisons in the post today! Alas, have no idea how to swap them over - will turn up at Brixton around 5.30pm and hopefully someone will be able to show me.

Max

#240 Batter C Power
Batter C Bout Liaison, Comms, Rec League Training

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:58 pm 

MaxP wrote:
Hey, so long forward to the first Brixton sesh. Just got my poisons in the post today! Alas, have no idea how to swap them over - will turn up at Brixton around 5.30pm and hopefully someone will be able to show me.

Max

Hiya Max. That was good timing on the wheel front! If i'm there a bit early, which i should be, i'd be happy to show you how to change your wheels over. Make sure you have bearings. You can change these over from your old wheels too. I have my skate tool packed in my kit bag, so you don't need anything other than your wheels & bearings. If you still have your old wheels on, they'll have bearings in them. I'll show you how to swap them all over, no worries. See you there.

Kizzie.
xx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:26 pm 

Where's the best place to get Poisons? Loads of people were on them at Brixton yesterday, they must be pretty good...

(all I can find are ones on ebay, imported from US so v. expensive.)

I'm starting to fall into that 'all my money goes on bills, food and derby' trap! ;-)

- The Horrorpops

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:33 pm 

I got mine from Billy's- took three days to arrive in the post.

http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.p ... ato-poison

#240 Batter C Power

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:25 pm 

copenhagen_refugee wrote:
Where's the best place to get Poisons? Loads of people were on them at Brixton yesterday, they must be pretty good...

I got mine from http://www.amazingskates.co.uk. They sell them for £45 plus p+p (most places sell them for £60) but because they're so cheap you have to grab them quick as they go out of stock as soon as they're in. You can email Doug (The Enforcer) who runs the shop to find out about stock levels and such :)

Sharon | Velocity Kendal #125
Rec League Alumn-arse, 2011-2017

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:58 pm 

Hi Kiz

I think I'm going to get some new bearings - do you recommend the 7mm or 8mm with Poisons?

x

#240 Batter C Power

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next