THE LONDON ROLLERGIRLS

no excuses - just great roller derby
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Wheels - Specs & Such
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:24 am 
Skater

We've got quite a few new girls with quite a few questions about wheels so I've done a bit of internet research and compiled some basic wheel information to use when trying to figure out what wheels you want to use.

First things first...
Wheel Durometer - simply put, the hardness of the wheel. Usually measured on an A-scale, but some wheels will have a D-scale as well (ie g-rods). 74a is very soft and 95a very hard. Soft equals grippy so the lower the number the grippier the wheel (in theory).

Secondly...
Standard size derby wheels are 62mm x 44m. Narrow wheels are 62mm x 38mm and theoretically offer a bit more maneuvrability.

Here is a list of Indoor wheels and their durometers

Sure Grip
Fugitives - Orange 88-90a / Grey 89a / Blue, Black, Pink, Red 92a / Green 97a
Interceptor - Pink, Blue, Yellow, Red, Black 93a / Purple, Green 97a
Power Plus - Pink, Red, Black, Yellow 93a / Purple, Green 97a
Zoom & Twister - 96a

Radar
Mojo - 88a (aluminium hub)
Flat Out (Red, Blue, Hot Pink, Green) - 88a
Flat Outrageous (Pink, Blue, Green, Black) - 88a this is a narrower version of the flat-out
Tuner (Red, Ice Blue, Hot Pink, Yellow-Orange, Green) - 93a
Devil Ray Black - 93a
Speed Ray (Red, Yellow-Orange, Hot Pink, Ice Blue) - 93a
Devil Ray Orange - 95a
Speed Ray Green - 95a
Demon (Black, Red, Blue, Pink, Green, Ice Blue, Yellow) - 95a
Evo (Red/Black, Pink/Black, Yellow/Blue, Yellow/Green) - 95a

Atom - Please note that slim versions are narrow wheels. Unless otherwise indicated the wheels below are standard derby width
D-Rods (black) - 95a
Dubz 2.0 (orange) - 97a - alloy hub
Dubz Slim (red hub) - 93a - alloy hub
Dubz/Dubz Slim (black) - 100a - alloy hub
Fusion (white w/red checked hub) - 97a
G-Rods - 93a
G-Rods 2.0 (pink) - 93a - these are narrow wheels
Jukes Slim (neon green) - 88a/93a/95a - these wheels are only 59mm tall
Jukes Alloy Slim (neon green) - 88a/93a/95a - these wheels are only 59mm tall and have an alloy hub
Lanzini Skins (green) - 95a
Lowboy/Lowboy Slim (blue w/red hub) - 95a
Omega/Omega 2.0 (green/purple) - 93a - these are narrow wheels
Queen B (blue) - 91a
Stinger/Stinger Slim (white) - 88a
Stroker/Stroker Slim (white w/all red hub) - 98.5a
Super Freak (yellow) - 95a -this is marketed as an affordable 95a for skaters on a tight budget
Tracker (orange) - 91a
Trak Attack - blue 93a/red95a/white97a - these are all short & slim but with a lip like wide wheels

Heartless Wheels - these are narrow wheels and the advice is to use them in combos a couple of durometers apart. Examples are: Purple/Green, Black/Red, White/Black, Green/Yellow
Voodoo (purple) - 86a
Stalker (black) - 88a
Creeper (green) - 90a
Chaser (yellow) - 92a
Breaker (red) - 94a
Vanish (white) - 96a

Outdoor Wheels are usually softer and designed for skating on asphalt, unpolished concrete, and skate parks. As they are softer, they will be grippier so if you want to really push yourself at practice you can wear outdoor wheels on a sport court and get a good workout. If you have worn your outdoor wheels outside, you should make sure they are clean before using them indoors as they might have pebbles and other stuff on them that is likely to scratch an indoor surface.

Unless otherwise noted these wheels are all 62mm, the same as our indoor wheels, but are usually slimmer at 38mm.

Atom Pulse - 78a

Sure Grip Motion - 78a (comes in 62mm & 65mm)

Sure Grip Aerobic - 85a

Radar Energy / Radar Fuel - 78a

Radar Pure - 78a (66mm)

Airwaves - 78a

Kryptonics Cruise 62 / Route 62 / True 65 - 78a

Kryptonics Cruise 65 - 80a

Kryptonics Lemon Twist - 78a Lemon scented

Kryptonics Orange Outrage - 78a Orange Scented

Bounce - 80a

Hypersonic - 85a

Hybrid Wheels - Suitable for indoor and outdoor skating surfaces... or for those that don't want to change wheels.

Atom Poison - 84a - regular and narrow widths available

Radar Shadow - 80a - cloudy blue

Radar Ghost- 80a - cloudy green and these are narrow wheels

Radar Phantom - 80a - cloudy red and these are 59mm x 43mm

Sure Grip Sugar - 85a (Exclusive to Sin City Skates)

Radar Zen - 85a

Atom Centauri - 88a

:alaska:

Last edited by auntie terror on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:13 am, edited 31 times in total.

Post subject: Re: All About Wheels
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:29 am 
Suffra Jets Co-Captain

Thanks Terror this is a nice little wheel dictionary, v v v useful :knit:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:31 am 
Skater

Oh and...

Remember that some of this will be down to preference, skating style, and skating surface and what works for one girl might not be the same for you.

For example - Orange Fugis are supposed to be grippier than the G-rods but I don't find that to be the case - I slip out less on the inside with my G-Rods than with the orange fugis. This might be to do with the inner hub which if I remember from the site is 70d or something. I haven't yet tried the trackers so they might be grippier.

I found the flat-outs, tuners, and speed rays to be okay, but the fugis seemed more sticky. That being said, I haven't tried any of those wheels in well over a year - since I've gotten used to skating more than recreationally.

If you aren't sure, you can always ask to borrow wheels off someone and try them out for a spell to see what you like.

I happen to like all g-rods or a g-rod/orange fugi combo right now - but I like the grippy especially at CoLA.

Kitty seems to be on a g-rod/answer combo at the moment

Fox swears by the D-rods

Last edited by auntie terror on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:34 am 
Skater/Director

I am liking the D-rod G-rod combo.

Terror - maybe you should put info on outdoor wheels up there too...thats a common question.

Kitty DeCapitate wrote:
You are actually probably right. You win!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:41 am 
Skater

bette noir wrote:

Terror - maybe you should put info on outdoor wheels up there too...thats a common question.

okay... i'll work on that for my afternoon contribution

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:30 pm 
Skater

auntie terror wrote:
bette noir wrote:

okay... i'll work on that for my afternoon contribution

done and bump

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:37 pm 
Skater

One more tip that Bette gave me and it's worked a charm...

Most wheels have a light coating on them when they are new and therefore can be a bit slippy, even if they are soft, until the coating comes off. (I experienced this with both radars and sure grips). If you go up and down a bit just outside the hall, on a slightly rough surface you will rub off the coating. Wipe off your wheels after and you should be good to go.

I don't know if the Atom wheels have that coating as I did the up and down outside thing without even trying the wheels on the sports hall floor.

It's probably best to see how they go and if they seem to be a bit slidey you can try rubbing off the coating and that should help.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:40 pm 
Skater/Head of Web

also worth bearing in mind that a better quality urethane will usaully lead to a better quality of wheel, so you will probably find that G-Rods at 93a are grippier than orange/grey Fugitives at 88-90a which are grippier than Flat-Outs at 88a.

Also you need to take the hub material into account - aluminium or hard plastic hubs (G/D-rods) will give less under your weight and give you a truer roll than softer plastic hubs (like Fugis) and will probably feel faster.

fwiw my current personal preference is a D-Rod/Tracker combo with the grippier Trackers on the inside, and I will switch to a full set of D-Rods for a gripper floor. This is not a super-duper grippy combo but it's enough for me to keep control, and I like a bit of slide these days. Before that I used orange and black Fugitives which I liked very much but really noticed the speed/roll difference once I switched to wheels with harder hubs. I started on red Tuners which I hated, as a newbie they were way too slippery (especially on a wood floor like Mulberry) and it took me until I got the Fugis to start nailing crossovers.

/wheel nerd over&out

#04 Fox Sake

geek-in-chief : boring finance type : forum admin : social media monkey : WFTDA rep : chronic pie-fingerer : printer lady mostly retired

"Do what you want and live with the consequences." -- Alice Munro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:20 pm 
Skater

I am wearing G-Rods as my grippy wheels at our training venues, but Blue Tuners on the 'outside'. I switched to Trackers on the outside just for our trial at Brixton, since it was more slippery than our other training surfaces.
However I will never ever wear G-Rods again at Tottenham as it is waaaaay to grippy, so I LOVE the Trackers as my pushers and Tuners as the others. I am thinking of switching to ALL Tuners though.

It is totally personal preference. Alot of us go through stages with how we like to feel whilst skating. Definitely having grippier wheels when you're first starting out makes a huge difference. You can control yourself a bit more and don't feel like you are going to sliiiiiiide out on the turns, which makes you lose speed. Our Bout venue is so grippy compared to our practice venue, so if you are using G-Rods at our practice venues, and really like how they feel, you may find your style of skating is altered at our Bout venue. Plows are really hard to do, changing direction quickly is harder, you get less momentum for hits if you are a smaller lady. but then again, some people really like the ability to 'jump' around with a stepping/skating type of style. I know alot of the SuffraJets who wore GRods at Tottenham during our last Bout, hated them.

anyway, ra ra ra, wheels wheels wheels. what a minefield!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:29 pm 

Kitty DeCapitate wrote:
I am wearing G-Rods as my grippy wheels at our training venues, but Blue Tuners on the 'outside'. I switched to Trackers on the outside just for our trial at Brixton, since it was more slippery than our other training surfaces.
However I will never ever wear G-Rods again at Tottenham as it is waaaaay to grippy, so I LOVE the Trackers as my pushers and Tuners as the others. I am thinking of switching to ALL Tuners though.

It is totally personal preference. Alot of us go through stages with how we like to feel whilst skating. Definitely having grippier wheels when you're first starting out makes a huge difference. You can control yourself a bit more and don't feel like you are going to sliiiiiiide out on the turns, which makes you lose speed. Our Bout venue is so grippy compared to our practice venue, so if you are using G-Rods at our practice venues, and really like how they feel, you may find your style of skating is altered at our Bout venue. Plows are really hard to do, changing direction quickly is harder, you get less momentum for hits if you are a smaller lady. but then again, some people really like the ability to 'jump' around with a stepping/skating type of style. I know alot of the SuffraJets who wore GRods at Tottenham during our last Bout, hated them.

Too true, as a newbie my head a bit spinny reading all this, i've got soooo much to learn, also my bank balance, I have a budget for a kit but i've already spent 120 on elbow, knees and shorts padding and i haven't bought any of the kit yet :waaah: , I have quite a bit of time until i'm up to any ability so hopefully I could get the right advice, so as a newbie I'd proberbly require plenty of grip (not sure) (will see).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:35 pm 

wyrdsisterz wrote:
Kitty DeCapitate wrote:

Too true, as a newbie my head a bit spinny reading all this, i've got soooo much to learn, also my bank balance, I have a budget for a kit but i've already spent 120 on elbow, knees and shorts padding and i haven't bought any of the kit yet :waaah: , I have quite a bit of time until i'm up to any ability so hopefully I could get the right advice, so as a newbie I'd proberbly require plenty of grip (not sure) (will see), so a budget of about 350 required for the kit, skates 270-299, Helmet 10-20. knee, elbow, wrist band kit 30-50. I'm happy to pay this investment as even if i don't make the grade i will still use the kit for the years ahead and oh yes forgot health insurance which i was getting anyway plus 30 per month, wow it adds up and up, you peeps have proberbly spent loads and loads???.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:00 pm 
Skater

Terror, I am :heart2: n you right now!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:06 pm 
Skater

Heartless wheels added.

Also - just so everyone knows... John at Everglides stocks RADAR wheels.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:30 pm 

i've gotten splint's green omega's to try out again. but this time, there are 4 black d-rods in the bag too. haven read over terror's wonderful wheel info, i have a couple questions.

1) at 95a, the omega's are pretty hard wheels, but i didn't mind the omega's when i tried them for a few weeks. i had to push down harder, but i found it actually made me feel more stable somehow by pressing into the floor with my feet. does that make sense considering how hard they are?

2) as the d-rods are called SLIM in the make, i'm guessing that they're thinner than the omega's. are they ok to use together? is there a problem with having two different thickness wheels?

3) as the d-rods and the omega's have the same durometer, would it matter which ones go on the outside/inside? in theory, would one want hard or soft wheels on the inside?

4) and powers of deduction have lead to me to assume that as a hard wheel, the omega's might be good for a place like tottenham? if the floor is grippy there, i would want hard wheels, yes? otherwise, it might feel like skating through tar with grippy wheels AND grippy floor. let me know if i've gotten this wrong.

thanks!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:35 pm 
Skater/Head of Web

d-rods are standard width, are my favourite wheels for tottenham, and one would want softer wheels on the inside as a rule.

i think omegas are thinner than d-rods, you probably do not want to mix widths, and yes soft wheels at tottenham is like skating through tar.

#04 Fox Sake

geek-in-chief : boring finance type : forum admin : social media monkey : WFTDA rep : chronic pie-fingerer : printer lady mostly retired

"Do what you want and live with the consequences." -- Alice Munro

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next