THE LONDON ROLLERGIRLS

no excuses - just great roller derby
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wheels - Specs & Such
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:14 pm 

PollyVinyl wrote:
So I need some wheels that are grippier than Poisons, but less than my outdoors. Has anyone had any experience with Ghosts? Are they any good? or are there any others I should try?

Do you want to try my Ghosts on Saturday Polly? Kizzie mentioned last week that you were interested so I can bring them along. They were great when I first started skating but now I'm a lot more confident I've moved over to alloy Poisons for a bit more power and slide (but still enough grip to cope with Brixton). I'm debating selling them but may want to keep them for outdoors.

Also, have you loosened your trucks at all? I found this really helped with my cornering. I can show you how to do this if you are coming on Saturday?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:52 am 

Rach, I wore the Kryptonics True to Hackney last monday and found them really grippy on the corners.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Hyper Witch Doctor wheels? I was thinking of getting some for indoor skates as the Trues are too grippy and shitty Caymans are too slippy on the floors I practise on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:02 am 

Oryx wrote:
Rach, I wore the Kryptonics True to Hackney last monday and found them really grippy on the corners.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Hyper Witch Doctor wheels? I was thinking of getting some for indoor skates as the Trues are too grippy and shitty Caymans are too slippy on the floors I practise on.

Yeah i think the same i didn't even try to T stop for fear of tripping myself up, although i find them to be ok at maitlands...

I still want to try out ghosts, but maybe you should see if someone could let you try out their poisons? they are sort of the inbetween wheel of choice it seems... oh and you should also find out what your croydon practice floor is like as you might need something that suits there?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:46 am 

Oryx wrote:

Hey, i have seen a couple of people that i know skating on Hyper Witch Doctor's at our Hackney/Maitland sessions recently. I must admit, they are a wheel that i have been curious about too. I like the look of them, but mostly, i like the price! I don't think you can really go far wrong as a beginner at this price. I say give them a go. I think "E" has a set & possibly Heidi too ( who sometimes comes to Maitland). Perhaps ask one of them if they wouldn't mind letting you skate them for a while, so that you can make an informed decision on whether or not to buy a set? I think i may take your lead & also try them out for myself at some point-why not eh?!!

xx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:00 pm 

To everyone who's skated at Hackney, what have you found works for you? The one and only time I've skated there, I used my poisons and found I was slipping all over the place. I'm thinking I'm definitely going to need something a bit grippier but I also want to mix whatever new wheels I get with my poisons for both Brixton and Hackney (and Maitland even!). So what would be a good option?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:35 pm 

I too have some wheel related query. for brompton hall, will a combination of softer wheels (78a) for grip, and harder wheels (95a) be better or should i just stick to 95a's?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:53 pm 

When I skated at Earl's Court I found harder wheels were the best. The floor is really grippy and even my crappy Caymans felt awesome on that floor.

Sheila, not skated there yet personally so hoping I don't skid all over the place on my Posions. Saying that, the floor HAS to be better than CoLA...doesn't it? :p

Sharon | Velocity Kendal #125
Names & Numbers Master | Training | Safety | Rec League Grandpa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:57 pm 

Little Miss wrote:
Sheila, not skated there yet personally so hoping I don't skid all over the place on my Posions. Saying that, the floor HAS to be better than CoLA...doesn't it? :p

I prefer CoLA to Hackney...

Sheila Tekil'er #241. Taking a skatey break.
Come at me for Safety (head), Bout EMT booker,Attendance, PR, LRG Calendar Updater, Photographer Liaison biz!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:47 pm 
Skater/Director

Sheila wrote:
Little Miss wrote:

no. words.... only emoticon will do :banghead:

Suffra Jet fo' life

Director

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:50 pm 

hannah wrote:
Sheila wrote:
Little Miss wrote:

no. words.... only emoticon will do :banghead:

I'm weird, I know. :p

ETA: Ok after tonight's session (31st), I'm very much liking the floor at Hackney. It was a lot grippier (in a good way) today and I wasn't the only one who noticed it. Poisons were perfect (for me) on there.

Sheila Tekil'er #241. Taking a skatey break.
Come at me for Safety (head), Bout EMT booker,Attendance, PR, LRG Calendar Updater, Photographer Liaison biz!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:28 pm 

thanks little_miss (sharon) - will stick to my 95a's then :]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:38 pm 

fatski wrote:
thanks little_miss (sharon) - will stick to my 95a's then :]

You're welcome ^_^

Hackney was pretty decent actually. Only thing that irritated me a little were those circular bits of floor that could be removed to divide off the hall. Some of them had a tendency to slip when skated over. The grippiness was ace, but strange after so long at CoLA.

Sharon | Velocity Kendal #125
Names & Numbers Master | Training | Safety | Rec League Grandpa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:40 pm 

I have a quick question -

I've just started practising (practicing?) at Maitland and I have the standard slippy wheels that came with my skates (Havocs - whatever they have on them...)

Is it worth buying some outdoor wheels for £20 (Kryptonics True) to keep me sticky while I'm learning, or should I fork out 3 times the price for Poisons straight away? It's tricky to know what I'm going to be most comfortable with until I'm a bit steadier on my feet, but I'm not going to learn properly if I'm sliding all over the place, right?

Thanks in advance for thoughts and opinions....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:23 am 

Hi Disposable Hero. I would buy the Kryptonics if i were you. They are a good, cheap, grippy outdoor wheel. Outdoor wheels are much softer with a lower durometer usually around 78a-84a. Lots of people, especially in the beginning, like to wear their outdoor wheels for slippery indoor surfaces & this works really well. You will probably want to have a set of outdoor wheels anyway, so then you have the option to skate outdoors for more practice. This will seem more appealling a notion when the weather warms up in the spring/summer! So, as you will need these anyway, i would buy them to start off with & as your skating improves, then think about investing in some Poisons. If you would like to try some Kryptonics & Poisons, let me know, as i have these wheels & am happy to let you have a spin on them at Maitland if you want? I'll be at Maitland this Friday.

Kizzie. x

:skate:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:56 am 

Thanks for the advice Kizzie, I went and bought the Kryptonics so going to give them a try tonight. I fell like I need to get a bit more used to actually being able to skate before I can sample other wheels and effectively be able to tell if I like them or not, but thanks so much for the offer! I may take you up on it in a few weeks or so...

See you tonight :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next