THE LONDON ROLLERGIRLS

no excuses - just great roller derby
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:27 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wheels - Specs & Such
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:01 pm 
Skater

Yes, I used the green omegas(narrow and grippy) last time at Tottenham and although I tried my G-rod and red fugi combo there, I felt like the omegas helped me with getting speed quickly and I like the narrow wheel but, plowing was very difficult. I wouldn't go with that choice next time.
I use the pink Flat Outrageous narrow wheels at Brixton and I think they are so similar to the Omegas so they're nice for that venue.
Cola and Stonebridge are getting the old g-rod/fugi combo from now on - more slide and ability to plow quickly and will use that combo most likely at the next bout.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:14 pm 
Skater/Head of Web

I like a bit of slide and I love my D-Rods at Tottenham. They're the perfect mix of speed and grip for me on that floor.

The Sugars make jamming at Brixton bearable for me. To my surprise I've also found them perfectly usable at Stonebridge, if a little slow. Ploughing is fine, though. I guess if I was blocking more in Brixton scrimmages I'd be fine with a bit more slide, but I've found it really hard to build up and maintain speed and to dodge effectively with harder wheels there. I also liked the Omegas at Brixton when I had them.

#04 Fox Sake

geek-in-chief : boring finance type : forum admin : social media monkey : WFTDA rep : chronic pie-fingerer : printer lady mostly retired

"Do what you want and live with the consequences." -- Alice Munro

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:59 am 
Rollergirl Emeritus

I loved my sugars at Brixton yesterday - it was like skating at Tottenham! A bit tricky to plough, but definitely no skidding out on corners and no problems trying to get back in the pack after moving out for a block. I reckon if you mixed a harder wheel in the inner side of each skate, that might fix the ploughing problem.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:02 am 
Skater

Ok looks like I need to suck up the expense and shell out for some sugars with my next paycheck. Opting out of jamming whenever I can at Brixton cos of hurty feet is starting to depress me...

Ok, Raw, you are right about this! You're the most sensible person in LRG :heart1:

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:13 am 
Suffra Jets Co-Captain

Do they only sell sugars in packs of 8? If what Kat says is true then I's go halfs with someone if they wanted? I thought I'd have got used to the floor by now but oh well.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:15 am 
Skater

http://sincityskates.com/images/merch/wheels/sugar.jpg

Are these the right ones, they come in 4s and 8s

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:09 pm 
Skater

I'm thinking about treating myself to a new set of wheels. I really only use my sugars at the moment and want something that could work on the Tottenham floor or other more grippy surfaces. What are your fave combos at Tottenham and why do you like them?

I also have grey fugis pushers and blue tuners - I think they are ok on a floor like Stonebridge, but not fantastic - do you think they'd be ok for Tottenham?

Ylva Arnberg #44
Brawling
Outgoing League Payments (Finance)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:33 am 
Rollergirl Emeritus

i like my g-rod/d-rod combo for Tottenham, and before that I had orange/black fugitives - they both worked great as Tott is so grippy, you don't want anything more grippy than that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:24 am 
Skater

I'm selling 8 orange Sugars for 60 quid (sorry, customs charge), if anyone's interested.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:56 am 
Skater/Director

I also like the D-rod/G-rod combo at Tottenham and Stonebridge, but not as much as I love the Heartless combo (i have yellow and white).

At the last bout I loaned the heartless combo to Sky and the D/G to Raw - so they can tell you how they liked them.

Kitty DeCapitate wrote:
You are actually probably right. You win!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:35 am 
Rollergirl Emeritus

I put 8 Heartless white (the hardest) on for the last bout at Tottenham and they were too sticky - I couldn't plough. I am looking into harder wheels with the same narrow profile for the next bout - Atom Dubz or Strokers, most probably.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:12 pm 
Skater

Metallikat wrote:
I put 8 Heartless white (the hardest) on for the last bout at Tottenham and they were too sticky - I couldn't plough. I am looking into harder wheels with the same narrow profile for the next bout - Atom Dubz or Strokers, most probably.

I'd like to go in on a set with you when you order them if thats okay.

#08/Alumnus/Obnoxious superfan.
Ginger fetishist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:52 pm 
Skater

bette noir wrote:
I also like the D-rod/G-rod combo at Tottenham and Stonebridge, but not as much as I love the Heartless combo (i have yellow and white).

At the last bout I loaned the heartless combo to Sky and the D/G to Raw - so they can tell you how they liked them.

I liked D/G rod combo but if I don't slide out on corners and can still plough then I'm happy so probs not best person to quiz. (Non wheel nerd signing off)

Ok, Raw, you are right about this! You're the most sensible person in LRG :heart1:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:56 pm 
Skater

Since people seem to like the g-rods/d-rods - and narrow wheels in general - has anyone got any thoughts on the narrow g-rods? or would the g-rods on their own be too grippy?

Ylva Arnberg #44
Brawling
Outgoing League Payments (Finance)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:17 pm 
Skater

Knickerblocker Glory wrote:
Since people seem to like the g-rods/d-rods - and narrow wheels in general - has anyone got any thoughts on the narrow g-rods? or would the g-rods on their own be too grippy?

Ninjette has the narrow g-rods. I think all (new) g-rods would probs be too grippy on the Tott floor.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next