THE LONDON ROLLERGIRLS

no excuses - just great roller derby
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: KNEEPADS: YOU NEED GOOD ONES
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:22 pm 
Skater/Head of Web

Hi everyone,

this is just a reminder that if you are going to skate with us (or any roller derby league) regularly, you need to upgrade your kneepads as soon as possible. Basic pads (Anarchy/Bullet) are fine for the first couple of months, but beyond that once you are hooked and you're skating twice or more a week you really need good heavy duty vert/ramp pads. Rector, TSG Force, 187, that kind of thing. Ask if you are unsure if pads are suitable. This especially applies if you have a history of knee issues or a tendency to fall heavily.

We have had a lot of knee injuries over the past year or two and we have learnt that it is very easy to fuck your knees up permanently if you're continually falling with inadequate protection. If your knees are bruised or achy after practice, you need better kneepads. You might think that the massive skateboarding ramp pads are overkill, but they're really not - we hit the deck a lot more than most people in other skate-based sports.

Pads also wear out. You might have spiffy pads now, but in six or twelve months' time they'll be a lot less spiffy and a lot less protective.

#04 Fox Sake

geek-in-chief : boring finance type : forum admin : social media monkey : WFTDA rep : chronic pie-fingerer : printer lady mostly retired

"Do what you want and live with the consequences." -- Alice Munro

Post subject: Re: KNEEPADS: YOU NEED GOOD ONES
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:02 pm 
Skater

That might explain why my knees have been hurting for the past couple of weeks or so, I will upgrade my knee pads as soon as possible, I haven't been skating for that much for my knees to hurt like this! :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:17 pm 
Skater

also some heavy duty knee gaskets (like TSGs or Gladiators) are good for a bit of extra protection under your regular knee pads in the interim if you can't afford to buy new knee pads straighaway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:10 pm 
Suffra Jets Co-Captain

I feel like this post is furiously waving at me...after Christmas might be the time I upgrade my knee pads, so what are peoples views on the heavy duty ones?
Fox Sake wrote:
you really need good heavy duty vert/ramp pads. Rector, TSG Force, 187, that kind of thing. Ask if you are unsure if pads are suitable. This especially applies if you have a history of knee issues or a tendency to fall heavily.

Just general +ve or -ve comments please!
Bex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:15 pm 
Skater

its a personal choice on the heavy duties,....try peoples on and see what you like....its the same with most anything in derby pads, wheels, helmets, ......sorry not much help but yeh try things on an see what suits you best....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:15 pm 
Skater

The Bexorcist wrote:
I feel like this post is furiously waving at me...

Isn't this exactly what I was saying to you the other day. Get knee pads before wheels...

You can try my stuff tonight if you like.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:17 pm 
Skater/Director

TSGs - not sure off
Rector Fat Boys - on me I found that they slipped down a bit including when I had gaskets on so not a huge fan of them but many of the other girls wear them without a problem
187s - Love them, awesome pads and are the ones I wear now.

If you want to try any of them on, maybe just ask one of the girls before practice/during warm up if you can have a try on and do some falls on them to get a feel.

Also gladiator gaskets tend to fall apart after a while but the TSG ones with the velcro top and bottom are brilliant. I was on and off skates for about 3 months because of a knee injury and I would recommend decent pads as soon as you can afford them.

Grievous Bodily Charm #1984
London Brawling/ Director

bette noir wrote:
GrievousBodilyCharm wrote:

I don't fuck about with shit like bake sales

pretty sure you just wrote your new signature file

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:22 pm 
Rollergirl Emeritus

TSGs are brilliant! I had fat boys and they slipped down the whole time. The TSGs havent slipped once.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:30 pm 
Suffra Jets Co-Captain

Ninjette wrote:
The Bexorcist wrote:
I feel like this post is furiously waving at me...

Isn't this exactly what I was saying to you the other day. Get knee pads before wheels...

Check Ninjette getting all nagging mother!

But thanks everyone so far...if I can give each of those a quick try at some point tonight or Thursday then that'd be great.

Thanks ladiez!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:32 pm 

I had the Anarchy ones when i first started, i had a couple of bad falls that ended up with me damaging the tendon that runs from my knee to my shin and i had a build up of fluid on my knee too (was vvvvv painful)

i went for the TSG's as they are like having sofas on your knees, dont let the bulkiness put you off, if anything they make you do a deeper crossover :)

There are some like mine on ebay now for sale at VVVVVVV cheap prices

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TSG-Force-Skatebo ... 240%3A1318

i will say that i ordered a size small (i take a size 8 dress) and they do come up tight, they will give a bit after a couple of months. I think Bad Faith has the same as me too :))))) if you order the elbow pads too, for some reason they are HUGE (both me and Bad Faith laugh at our massive elbow pads)

xxxxx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:38 pm 
Suffra Jets Co-Captain

Ok, well if I can try yours on for size Dot (you'll only be at Thurs, right?) and Nem are you TSGs a Small or a medium? My thighs are a bit rugby player so not sure which I'll need.
And if I can try your 187s at beginning of warm up or after main practice has ended that'd be great Grievous.

I wasn't thinking of getting new elbow pads...I'm quite happy with my Anarchy ones at the moment...can someone shout at me if I should be wanting to get thicker ones there too?!

Much appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:42 pm 
Skater/Director

You can try mines on at the beginning of practice tonight if you like, trust me you so don't wanna try them on at the end :wink:

Grievous Bodily Charm #1984
London Brawling/ Director

bette noir wrote:

I don't fuck about with shit like bake sales

pretty sure you just wrote your new signature file

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:02 pm 
Suffra Jets Co-Captain

You can try mines on at the beginning of practice tonight if you like, trust me you so don't wanna try them on at the end :wink:

...LUSH.
Thanks Grievous!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:11 pm 

mine s t i n k at the moment (i will wash em before the bout) but your more than welcome to see if slipper fits cinderella lol

see you thurs

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:56 pm 
Rollergirl Emeritus

I've had Anarchy elbow pads since I start about a year and a half ago and they're still fine other than they've stretched a bit. But the Anarchy knee pads I would definitely agree to upgrade as soon as you can!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next