THE LONDON ROLLERGIRLS

no excuses - just great roller derby
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: KNEEPADS: YOU NEED GOOD ONES
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:54 am 
Skater

Wheelspin Shady wrote:
Sky Rockit wrote:
... scabs (fell apart after 6 months).
Aw, really? :( I love my new(ish) Scabs.

Sky Rockit wrote:
So I'm interested in TSG Force, 187 pro and pro-design. does anyone have any advice?
I've heard / read good things about Pro-Designed Super Singles. Will see if I can remember where it was. Have you tried searching BMX mags / forums?

I'm still delighted with my scabs, despite a split knee cap 2 years in. Obviously we put our pads through a lot of stress and in different ways sometimes so do not despair. I will deffo be buying another pair soonish but I'll probably look into pro-designed too...

Ok, Raw, you are right about this! You're the most sensible person in LRG :heart1:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:56 am 
Referee

Raw Heidi wrote:
Wheelspin Shady wrote:
Sky Rockit wrote:

Sky Rockit wrote:
So I'm interested in TSG Force, 187 pro and pro-design. does anyone have any advice?
I've heard / read good things about Pro-Designed Super Singles. Will see if I can remember where it was. Have you tried searching BMX mags / forums?

I'm still delighted with my scabs, despite a split knee cap 2 years in. Obviously we put our pads through a lot of stress and in different ways sometimes so do not despair. I will deffo be buying another pair soonish but I'll probably look into pro-designed too...
Word. When my Scabs do give out, Pro Designed will be my next stop. Only thing that really sucks about Scabs is the velcro straps. It's like they spent ages designing the pad and the straps were due to be finished, but it was Friday afternoon so they went down the pub instead.

Farcebook

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:28 pm 
Skater

Sky Rockit wrote:
Wheelspin Shady wrote:
Sky Rockit wrote:

yeah I always chucked them in the washing machine without doing up velcro which I'll be more careful with in future, velcro straps coming off on both sides.

The cap on my Scabs split the second or third time I wore them. I got a re-cap and I still wear them but I won't buy them again. I might go back to Rector Fatboys.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:18 pm 

Daisy Dioxin wrote:
I just got some Scabs (the leopard print ones) in a L/Xl and they're a different fit to the standard scabs - these go all the way round my legs (I'm a size 16), where as the standard scabs only just go round.
I actually wanted the same fit as the original ones so I was looking as sending these back (if they accept returns) or looking to sell them on. these fit very much like the 187s i already have. they're unused - they cost £70
if you're interested if you PM leg circumference I could measure these and see if they're likely to be any good?

i'm thinking of getting those but am worried about the sizing... there appears to only be s/m or l/xl... i am not small meduim but fear that the l/xl may slip a bit... how do they fit?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:21 pm 
Skater

daisy_mart wrote:
Daisy Dioxin wrote:
I just got some Scabs (the leopard print ones) in a L/Xl and they're a different fit to the standard scabs - these go all the way round my legs (I'm a size 16), where as the standard scabs only just go round.
I actually wanted the same fit as the original ones so I was looking as sending these back (if they accept returns) or looking to sell them on. these fit very much like the 187s i already have. they're unused - they cost £70
if you're interested if you PM leg circumference I could measure these and see if they're likely to be any good?

i'm thinking of getting those but am worried about the sizing... there appears to only be s/m or l/xl... i am not small meduim but fear that the l/xl may slip a bit... how do they fit?

They run small. You can try mine on if you like. They're the large size and just about do up but then I've got tree trunks for legs. Stick gaskets underneath and you might be okay though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:40 am 

Has anyone tried these or heard any reviews?
Pro Tec 'Drop In' pads...

http://pro-tec.net/drop-in-knee-elbow-pads-skate.php

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:48 am 
Referee

I have a set of the pro-tec drop ins. They're a good knee pad. A lot of padding and decently made. They are quite proud at the front as they are (as the name would suggest) designed for when you fall when dropping in on a ramp. As a result of found them a little bit cumbersome. I ended up switching from them to 187's as I found I had better manoeuvrability in them, but i still use them as my backup set.

Henry the Sk8th #8
Referee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:48 am 
Referee

Scar Crash wrote:
Has anyone tried these or heard any reviews?
Pro Tec 'Drop In' pads...

http://pro-tec.net/drop-in-knee-elbow-pads-skate.php

The spec looks good; very good considering it's possible to get them for £50 delivered free [ http://www.skateboardsofchoice.co.uk/pr ... e-pads.htm ] - 24 quid less than eg Smiths Scabs Psychos! I reckon these could be worth a punt. They look like they're well designed in terms of freedom of knee joint movement.

No personal experience of them though... They're designed for vert skating, so whether the caps would be hardwearing in terms of derby I don't know. They'd certainly be more than capable of taking sudden hard impacts (possibly more padding than you need). I'd like to see how the caps are joined to the pads.

There's a similar aspect in derby knee slides and sliding down a vert ramp, which leads me to the inclusion of a "wear indicator". Sliding down a ramp on your knees will cause more wear than sliding along flat ground after a fall. In derby terms, this design might make you think you need to replace the caps sooner/more often. Normally you might just wear caps until they cracked (or are near cracking), then buy new ones/covers.

If you see another colour* coming through your scuff marks, this might affect your peace of mind when there's (most probably) no need to worry. On the other hand, you might see this "early warning" as a plus.

NB, unsuitable for vegans.

*I would guess the "wear indicator" is different colour 2-ply plastic laminate.

[edit] My knees are *buggered* (hence my nerdy interest in kneepads), and I thus like pads with a lot of padding. Like these. The tradeoff is less agility and knee movement.

Farcebook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:11 pm 

Thanks!
The price makes them tempting but I may have to see them in real life ebfore deciding. Don't want anything too massive.

Random idea but would it be worth all the league skaters doing a 'kit profile' kinda thing, saying which pads/wheels/etc they are using?
It would save all the 'does anyone have [X bit of kit] in [Y size] I can try?' posts and might be a more usable resource for kit recommendations than the forum threads...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:15 pm 
Skater

Scar Crash wrote:
Thanks!
The price makes them tempting but I may have to see them in real life ebfore deciding. Don't want anything too massive.

Random idea but would it be worth all the league skaters doing a 'kit profile' kinda thing, saying which pads/wheels/etc they are using?
It would save all the 'does anyone have [X bit of kit] in [Y size] I can try?' posts and might be a more usable resource for kit recommendations than the forum threads...

I LOVE this idea!!

eg

Liv or Die

Skate - Size 6 Reidell 265 Wicked boot
Plate - Powerdyne Aluminium
Elbow pads - 187 med
Wristguards - SFR Med
Knee Pads - Bauer (model unknown)
Helmet - Nutcase Sml/med
Main Wheels: Atom Poisons, Grods, Lowboys (all slim)

Olivia Coupe #51
London Brawling / WFTDA Rep / Coach
Poison Arrow wrote:
whatever Liv - we know you're emo!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:51 pm 
Skater

I like this. Will you do a separate thread?

Ylva Arnberg #44
Brawling
Outgoing League Payments (Finance)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:53 pm 
Skater

yeah what a good idea! separate thread ftw! :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:25 pm 
Referee

Scar Crash wrote:
Random idea but would it be worth all the league skaters doing a 'kit profile' kinda thing, saying which pads/wheels/etc they are using
Great idea. I've had a post on my site like this for a bit, but it's just a list; you've inspired me to take it down and improve it with reviews. :yeah:

[edit] Work in progress: http://jimboeth.com/2010/09/roller-derb ... ment-list/

Farcebook

Last edited by Wheelspin Shady on Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:27 pm 
Skater

I'm looking forward to Henry's list ;)

Ylva Arnberg #44
Brawling
Outgoing League Payments (Finance)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:36 pm 
Referee

As if I wasn't going to be right in on this one! It's up already, enjoy! :-D

Henry the Sk8th #8
Referee

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next