THE LONDON ROLLERGIRLS

no excuses - just great roller derby
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:19 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Padded shorts and bearings
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:07 pm 

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:13 pm
Posts: 12
Hi all,

So, like an absolute twazzock :roll: I managed to bruise my coccyx at the first of the freshies sessions on Saturday. I'm obviously resting it as much as possible but I was pondering getting some of those padded shorts I've seen to try and avoid it happening again.
Does anyone have them? If so, are they worth the extra weight and what brands are good? I've seen the magical orange d3o stuff (ooh...shiny) but I couldn't find anywhere in the UK that stocks them.
Also, while we're on the topic of equipment, bearings. Are roller derby bearings wider than roller disco retro style ones? I helped my housemate swap out the wheels and i think bearings on her retro skates a while back but I think this may have contributed to her losing a wheel at Renaissance Rooms last Saturday. Does anyone know how much different the widths on them are?
Any help would be great! :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Padded shorts and bearings
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:31 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:57 pm
Posts: 1611
Location: London
Hello!

I haven't personally needed/used bum pads (hooray for natural cushioning!) but I know a lot of the reccies use the McDavid shorts and are very happy with them. Here's a thread one of the reccies started when she was searching for pads - you might find it useful. Hope that helps!

_________________
Sheila Tekil'er #241. Taking a skatey break.
Come at me for Safety (head), Bout EMT booker,Attendance, PR, LRG Calendar Updater, Photographer Liaison biz!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Padded shorts and bearings
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:20 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:41 pm
Posts: 144
Location: the chippy
I've just ordered some McDavid shorts , as I bruised my coccyx in the last rec league bout a couple of weeks ago (it's still really bloody hurting and I'm off skates another week at least... yeah I did it 3 times in a row *eyes watering*)

I tried on a pair first - the sizes are quite generous, I'm a 10 and the Small seems a bit baggy (it's meant to be like leggings-tight) - no where in the UK stocks the X-Small tho so mine are coming from Quad in Germany :s http://quadrollerskateshop.com/index.ph ... s-741.html

But because I've already got a fresh injury there I don't feel these are enough on their own - so I've also ordered a Pro Designed tailbone protector (http://www.prodesigned.com/details/derb ... lbone.html - cost me cost me about £37 including postage) after some discussion on one of the derby Facebook groups. Basically a girl with a similar injury said it still hurt wearing just the McDavids (and also she tried the Triple-8 Bumsavers), so she tried the Pro Designed tailbone protector and said it worked a treat! However they come from the states... I really hope it comes soon!

Another option I was recommended was the AzzPadz (LOL phwoar http://www.alpsgear.co.uk/img/video/35-27.jpg_ ) they look pretty hideous to put on and wear but they're supposed to be really good... might borrowing some if my other bits don't come soon enough.

_________________
#912 Battered Sausage

Rec League

Head of Rec League Creative Committee :nyan:
Rec League Representative for the Communication Committee


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Padded shorts and bearings
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:21 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:41 pm
Posts: 144
Location: the chippy
Sheila Tekiler wrote:
Hello!

I haven't personally needed/used bum pads (hooray for natural cushioning!) but I know a lot of the reccies use the McDavid shorts and are very happy with them. Here's a thread one of the reccies started when she was searching for pads - you might find it useful. Hope that helps!




ha writing all that and it was my post you linked to :P :waahmbulance:

_________________
#912 Battered Sausage

Rec League

Head of Rec League Creative Committee :nyan:
Rec League Representative for the Communication Committee


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Padded shorts and bearings
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:36 pm 

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:13 pm
Posts: 12
Cheers all.
How long are you supposed to be off skates for? I don't know if i've bruised or broken it, but as i gather that the treatment is pretty much the same regardless....NSAIDs and rest.
Is it dependent on how much it hurts? It's my first proper rec league session on Saturday and i'm really loath to miss it :(
I'm small but curvy (sadly, my curvy bum is not padding, i accidentally turned it all to muscle a while ago while learning to walk backwards down a wall from standing to a crab position! boo!) so I dunno. Have to go and try some i think...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Padded shorts and bearings
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:42 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:41 pm
Posts: 144
Location: the chippy
turquoiseraven wrote:
Cheers all.
How long are you supposed to be off skates for? I don't know if i've bruised or broken it, but as i gather that the treatment is pretty much the same regardless....NSAIDs and rest.
Is it dependent on how much it hurts? It's my first proper rec league session on Saturday and i'm really loath to miss it :(
I'm small but curvy (sadly, my curvy bum is not padding, i accidentally turned it all to muscle a while ago while learning to walk backwards down a wall from standing to a crab position! boo!) so I dunno. Have to go and try some i think...


Well after 2 weeks i went to see a doctor because it still felt as bad as when it was fresh - they said it needs 4-6 weeks, so i'm in my third week I guess and it's finally easing off - my problem is that I've done muscle/ligament damage there too (i fell back butt crack into wheel) so moving hurts as well as just the sitting on bruising thing.

Just remember - you're going to be doing a lot of falling over... if you land on it again(like yours truly here) it sodding hurts lol - if you're going to skate I'd recommend getting hold of something, because if you do the same thing again you might need longer to heal. We teach you to fall forwards (onto your knees/lovely kneepads) but yeah you still do the odd derp backwards ;)

also
Quote:
i accidentally turned it all to muscle a while ago while learning to walk backwards down a wall from standing to a crab position


whaaaaaaat... i am SO INTRIGUED BY THIS?! :D

_________________
#912 Battered Sausage

Rec League

Head of Rec League Creative Committee :nyan:
Rec League Representative for the Communication Committee


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Padded shorts and bearings
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:03 pm 

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:13 pm
Posts: 12
Quote:
Just remember - you're going to be doing a lot of falling over... if you land on it again(like yours truly here) it sodding hurts lol - if you're going to skate I'd recommend getting hold of something, because if you do the same thing again you might need longer to heal. We teach you to fall forwards (onto your knees/lovely kneepads) but yeah you still do the odd derp backwards


Yeah, i pretty much figured that. It's getting better, but it doesn't help that my job involves sitting for 8 hours straight. I'm sitting on a cushion at work but still...

Quote:
whaaaaaaat... i am SO INTRIGUED BY THIS?! :D

Sooo, i like to set myself stupid challenges sometimes. About six or so years ago, i decided to see if i could teach myself to walk over backwards with a view to eventually being able to do backflips etc(as you do). Needless to say the backflips didn't ever happen. But...I started to walk backwards down a wall. I did it maybe once a day, and each day I could get a little bit further down. Took a couple of months - 7 maybe? Then I could do it. But i somehow managed to turn my butt entirely to muscle as i learned to do it. And it never ever went back. Now I've lost a ton of weight and I have no padding....despite having a curvy bum. Annoying.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Padded shorts and bearings
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:17 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:41 pm
Posts: 144
Location: the chippy
Quote:
Sooo, i like to set myself stupid challenges sometimes. About six or so years ago, i decided to see if i could teach myself to walk over backwards with a view to eventually being able to do backflips etc(as you do). Needless to say the backflips didn't ever happen. But...I started to walk backwards down a wall. I did it maybe once a day, and each day I could get a little bit further down. Took a couple of months - 7 maybe? Then I could do it. But i somehow managed to turn my butt entirely to muscle as i learned to do it.



that's awesome! I'm going to walk backwards everywhere for all the butt muscles!

_________________
#912 Battered Sausage

Rec League

Head of Rec League Creative Committee :nyan:
Rec League Representative for the Communication Committee


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Maroon Fusion theme created by Oxydo