THE LONDON ROLLERGIRLS

no excuses - just great roller derby
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Things that actually protect your knee from twisting?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:40 pm 

I twisted my left knee at SDRD last week, and while it seems fine 90% of the time, there is a certain kind of fall onto that knee that can feel painful now.

I have seen people use a number of things that are supposed to protect against twisting, but what actually works? I have these bandages that are like not very good gaskets and probably have mostly placebo protective effect.

I have seen people use those plastic brace things, but that's seems quite an extreme measure, or not?

Anyone tried using the atom knee pads as gaskets (as I have heard people do)?

Website & Filming
=)
ಠ_ಠ

Post subject: Re: Things that actually protect your knee from twisting?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:46 pm 
Head Referee

I don't know whether any knee braces are better at protecting against this sort of thing, but make sure that you don't use wheels that are too grippy or too slippy, as they can both contribute to knee injuries of this type.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:47 pm 

And on a related note, are there specific strengthening or other exercises that one should do to prevent this kind of injury in the first place?

Website & Filming
=)
ಠ_ಠ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:48 pm 

Duncan Disorderly wrote:
I don't know whether any knee braces are better at protecting against this sort of thing, but make sure that you don't use wheels that are too grippy or too slippy, as they can both contribute to knee injuries of this type.

Could you clarify this? Are you saying that suboptimal wheels make you fall in certain ways?

Website & Filming
=)
ಠ_ಠ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:56 pm 
Head Referee

Not from falling - if your wheels grip to the track too much, then twisting motions such as transitions or any of the plough/hockey stop/powerslide family of stops can result in your foot staying put while the rest of you continues to rotate. Wheels that are too slippy can also cause or exacerbate injury as suddenly losing your footing can wrench your knee.

(NB I am no physio or anything like that so this is purely my own observation rather than any great biomechanical insight)

(edit to fix incomplete sentence)

Last edited by Duncan Disorderly on Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:06 pm 

Duncan Disorderly wrote:
Not from falling - if your wheels grip to the track too much, then twisting motions such as transitions or any of the plough/hockey stop/powerslide family of stops can result in your foot staying put while the rest of you continues to rotate. Wheels that are too slippy as suddenly losing your footing can wrench your knee.

(NB I am no physio or anything like that so this is purely my own observation rather than any great biomechanical insight)

Wow, epiphany moment! I've had this problem the last few weeks, and now that I think about it, it's since COLA has had a floor change and there were a few times when I had the wrong wheels on. I also felt knee pain at Barcelona (did I mention I played in Barcelona), because my wheels were too grippy and stopping and braking was quite hard work. So this actually makes a lot of sense.

Brawling
Head of Training
Coach

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:23 pm 
Skater/Head of Web

The TSG knee gaskets have removable steel inserts down the sides that are supposed to help protect your knee from twisting.

#04 Fox Sake

geek-in-chief : boring finance type : forum admin : social media monkey : WFTDA rep : chronic pie-fingerer : printer lady mostly retired

"Do what you want and live with the consequences." -- Alice Munro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:00 pm 
Skater

Imho a lot of injuries come from skating on floors with a very different grip or slip to what you are used to. Usually because wheel hardness/softness is not changed or just literally the surface no matter what wheel you use is a foreign feeling.

I remember when VRDL moved from a spongey/rubbery plastic sports court (crazy grippy) to super slippy concrete, we had lots of injuries. Then after a while we went back to the sports court venue for a bout and there were injuries. And yes, mostly of the twisted knee variety.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:21 am 
Skater

Lisa Goers wrote:

I have seen people use those plastic brace things, but that's seems quite an extreme measure, or not?

The knee brace I wear absolutely stops any twisting in any direction a knee is not supposed to go. It also costs about £400... :(

I can show you a few preventative strengthening exercises from my Physio though if you want

Ylva Arnberg #44
Brawling
Outgoing League Payments (Finance)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:41 am 
Skater

I wear a Macdavid metal knee brace to stop moment in my knee cap, after dislocated it. here is a link, I have never had any moment in last 2+ years of wearing it for Roller derby.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mcdavid-Pro-Sta ... id+support

prices vary I spent about £60 for mine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:43 am 
Skater

It's worth noting that it's worth building up to grippier wheels on surfaces as it will build and strengthen your power and abilities to cope with different bouting surfaces.
Gradual increases and decreases in traction will force you to develop new techniques for stopping and moving on the track.

London Brawling Vice Captain
Head of Training