THE LONDON ROLLERGIRLS

no excuses - just great roller derby
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: WHAT YOU WILL NEED!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:44 pm 
Skater

auntie terror wrote:
R3s do not come in half sizes so you are going a whole size up or down every time.

Actually, they do come in half sizes - at least when I ordered mine about 3 years ago in the States.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:57 pm 

bette noir wrote:
Diane wrote:
How do I work out sizing for rollerskates are they the same as trainers?

the sizes are actually US Men's sizes, so its not an exact correlation to UK women's sizes unfortunately.

Best to post on here what you wear, and gals here could tell you what might work.

I wear a 6.5 - 7 UK Size

what do you think of these

http://www.skates.com/RW-Volt-Quad-Roll ... viewHeader

or

http://www.kateskates.co.uk/productdeta ... 2142577908

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:13 am 
Skater/Head of Admin

I've never heard of the Volt before!

Though I know nothing about it, I would probably go for the Volt over a similarly priced skate from some other brand. The only thing is that you probably can't get them from the UK so you'd have to get them from the US, and the hassle of that might make it not worth it after all.

Adminion - attendance spreadsheet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:26 pm 
Skater/Director

Diane wrote:
bette noir wrote:
Diane wrote:
How do I work out sizing for rollerskates are they the same as trainers?

the sizes are actually US Men's sizes, so its not an exact correlation to UK women's sizes unfortunately.

Best to post on here what you wear, and gals here could tell you what might work.

I wear a 6.5 - 7 UK Size

what do you think of these

http://www.skates.com/RW-Volt-Quad-Roll ... viewHeader

or

http://www.kateskates.co.uk/productdeta ... 2142577908

those volts must be new....never heard of em either. So I guess we dont know how tight/loose they size.

I wear a UK womens 7 and I have a Reidell size 7. So you could probably be safe with that for a starter skate. I always figure its better to err on the maybe a slight too big size for your first starter skates vs a slight too small....as you will be groaning about the break in and the effort it takes your feet to get used to skating as it is.

But if you are truly closer to a 6.5, then you might be able to get a 6.5 in skates too. Are your feet wide or narrow? If wide, go with the 7 for sure.

Kitty DeCapitate wrote:
You are actually probably right. You win!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:09 pm 

Thank you for the replies.

I think I will go on the safe side and get the 7s. My mister constantly gets stuff from the states so I'm used to the hassle though probably wise to try on some skates over here first as the hassle of returns would be immense.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:02 pm 

Hey there looking at getting into roller derby n buying some kit. Just wanted to check that a helmet ive seen is suitable:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Diamondback-Fakey ... 3358d72227

My head measures at around 51/52 so guessing that falling in the middle would be a good idea, as all of the other ones ive seen i either on the lower or higher limit

thanks ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:55 pm 

So, I haven't skated since I was little and need a whole lot of practice before I can even think Roller Derby, so have been looking for some cheapish starter skates. I've found these on ebay and there are quite a lot similar about but are they suitable since they go over the ankle?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROLLER-SKATES-/32 ... Skating_ET

Any recommendations of cheaper/basic brands would be very useful, ias much as I want to splash out on a pair of Riedells I know I shouldn't do it before I can at least stand up in a pair of skates!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:42 pm 
Skater/Director

PollyVinyl wrote:
So, I haven't skated since I was little and need a whole lot of practice before I can even think Roller Derby, so have been looking for some cheapish starter skates. I've found these on ebay and there are quite a lot similar about but are they suitable since they go over the ankle?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROLLER-SKATES-/32 ... Skating_ET

Any recommendations of cheaper/basic brands would be very useful, ias much as I want to splash out on a pair of Riedells I know I shouldn't do it before I can at least stand up in a pair of skates!

Thanks!

those would be fine to get your skate legs back, and you could upgrade later when its time for derby.

Kitty DeCapitate wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:08 pm 
Skater/Head of Web

I just fixed this post (after it got truncated in the move) and updated it a little.

#04 Fox Sake

geek-in-chief : boring finance type : forum admin : social media monkey : WFTDA rep : chronic pie-fingerer : printer lady mostly retired

"Do what you want and live with the consequences." -- Alice Munro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:05 pm 

Hey guys,

just joined the forum, and it's lovely that there is so much advice flying around!! I am feeling quite nervous about bootcamp though, and having the right stuff!!

I've got a pair of Anarchy derby skates, but the wheels feel massive (62mm)!! Are these ok???
Any helmet advice also very welcome!! I really am feeling overwhelmed!!

Nana*

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:34 pm 
Skater/Head of Web

62mm is standard size for derby wheels. Panic ye not.

For helmets, a lot of us like the Triple 8 skateboard helmets, or the Nutcase bike helmets. http://www.skatehut.co.uk/acatalog/triple8_helmet.html, for example.

#04 Fox Sake

geek-in-chief : boring finance type : forum admin : social media monkey : WFTDA rep : chronic pie-fingerer : printer lady mostly retired

"Do what you want and live with the consequences." -- Alice Munro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:28 am 
Skater/Head of Admin

For the main post on skates, vegans (or others who avoid leather--I didn't buy leather as a vegetarian either) now have much more skate choice. We can get the low end vinyl stuff to start. But when we are ready to upgrade, we can get the Divines (265s made with Clarino) available in the same packages as standard 265s. Or we can get any US-made Riedell skate made with Clarino. That means we can get just about any higher-end Riedell skate, which is pretty awesome.

Bonts also have a non-leather model. However, it is on their lower end. The nice thing about the Riedells is that you're not limited to any particular model.

(Now I just wish Riedell would make multiple colours of Clarino, which already exist, available.)

Adminion - attendance spreadsheet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:38 pm 

Fox Sake wrote:
62mm is standard size for derby wheels. Panic ye not.

For helmets, a lot of us like the Triple 8 skateboard helmets, or the Nutcase bike helmets. http://www.skatehut.co.uk/acatalog/triple8_helmet.html, for example.

Thank you!!

Super new to everything it feels!! The advice and response on the forum is greaqt though!!
Did a bit of browsing, and saw a triple 8 starter pack of protective pads; are these suitable for bootcamp??

Thanks again!
Nana*

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:49 pm 

Hii!

I have just signed up to the boot camp and wanted to ask advice about my skates,

I have had these cheap ones just for fun for a while and wanted to know if they would be ok to start off with at the bootcamp?! They are variflex Odyssey ones and are soft like trainers:

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:25 pm 
Skater/Director

hayleyanne wrote:
Hii!

I have just signed up to the boot camp and wanted to ask advice about my skates,

I have had these cheap ones just for fun for a while and wanted to know if they would be ok to start off with at the bootcamp?! They are variflex Odyssey ones and are soft like trainers:

Thank you!

you may want to change the wheels - but the boots will be "ok" to start probably.

Kitty DeCapitate wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next