THE LONDON ROLLERGIRLS

no excuses - just great roller derby
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:18 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: WHAT YOU WILL NEED!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:25 pm 
Skater/Head of Web

So you're thinking about joining the rec league. Awesome! Here's a quick breakdown of what you will need to get started in derby.

SKATES
You want quad skates. Two wheels in front, two wheels behind. You can pick up a half decent pair of starter skates from Argos or skate shops or ebay for around £30-£40, and you probably shouldn't spend any more than that unless you want to dive straight in with a pair of (sexy leather, or vinyl for vegans) Riedell derby skates. They'll set you back £100-£200, but oh they're worth it. Most of us get R3s (vinyl, cheaper) or 265s (leather). You can buy them from our lovely sponsors at Everglides (free next day shipping in most cases!) or import them from another of our sponsors, Sin City Skates if you're after something fancier. You can also sometimes pick up a vintage/used pair for cheap on eBay. Don't spend extra cash on Cobras or the Roller Derby brand, they may look better but they're not really worth it. Don't buy the hard plastic skates that come halfway up your shins (Bauers etc), they can cause nasty injuries. Fabric or vinyl ankle boots are fine. You will probably want to upgrade your skate wheels quite soon if you buy starter skates as the wheels they come with are usually small outdoor (soft) wheels and not very suitable for derby, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it. Worry about getting your skate legs outside in the park first.

HELMET
Any skate or skateboard helmet is fine. Bike helmets are usually not (but you can use your skate helmet as a bike helmet!) Probably £15-£30.

WRISTGUARDS/ELBOW PADS/KNEEPADS
You need 'aggressive' or 'vert' skate pads. As thick and padded as you can get. We fall, we fall a lot, and we fall hard. Your knees will thank you. Anarchy or TSG brand pads are probably the best starter pads widely available in the UK, you want the type with the full neoprene sleeve that goes right round your arm/leg. The Anarchy triple-pack is NOT the right type. Look on Ebay or skate shops. You'll probably need to pay at least £35 for the set, and it's a good idea to try them on so you can get a snug fit (loose pads slip and will do you no good). If you can afford better kneepads right off (TSG Force II or III from UK shops, or import Rectors, Scabs or 187s) then go for it as the cheaper Anarchy pads have been known to wear out fairly quickly and a couple of our skaters have suffered knee problems from repeated falling on worn out pads. You can also get gaskets, which are padded sleeves that go under your kneepads. These can help boost the Anarchy pads to a better standard, and some also have metal inserts to prevent your knees twisting sideways.

MOUTHGUARD
A basic boil-and-bite will cost about £2-£5 from sports shops and martial arts shops. You can still skate without one of these, but you won't be able to scrimmage or do any contact (blocking) drills.

If you want specific advice/recommendations/have found a bargain on ebay and want to check it's kosher, post in this forum and we'll do what we can to help you. See you at practice!

Post subject: Re: WHAT YOU WILL NEED!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:26 am 

Hi
Thanks for your help
I dont live in london im in south wales and tryin to get sum girls in 2 it and then come to london for the day to visit you guys and see how its done
Gladiator_Eversor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:41 pm 

Hey! I'm planning to come along to a practice and see if the thought of getting involved makes me poo myself or not. If no bum explosion takes place, what is the likely hood of being able to borrow some size 4 skate and a helmet? I'm reluctant to splash out on the whole hog straight away, if i'm hooked after a couple of goes then i'll go for it.

Lydia x x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:48 pm 
Skater

Deadly De Vito wrote:
Hey! I'm planning to come along to a practice and see if the thought of getting involved makes me poo myself or not. If no bum explosion takes place, what is the likely hood of being able to borrow some size 4 skate and a helmet? I'm reluctant to splash out on the whole hog straight away, if i'm hooked after a couple of goes then i'll go for it.

Lydia x x

You can borrow my helmet you big loser. Also if you haven't registered that name yet then you should keep it under wraps cos someone might nick it on the public forum!
see you tomorrow.xxx

Ok, Raw, you are right about this! You're the most sensible person in LRG :heart1:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:54 pm 
Skater

I have size four starter skates. You can try them out at our next session. If they fit then I may consider selling them.

Let me know when you are coming to practice and I'll bring them with me.

London Brawling Vice Captain
Head of Training

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:11 pm 
Skater

I also have elbow pads and wrist guards so if you sort yourself out with some knee pads and a mouthguard then you are GOOD TO GO!!!

NO EXCUSES NOW MISSUS!!! Let's see you put your money where that big trash-talkin mouth is!xxx

Ok, Raw, you are right about this! You're the most sensible person in LRG :heart1:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:38 pm 
Ref/Coach

Deadly De Vito wrote:
bum explosion

hehe

i like watermelon...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:34 pm 

Kamikaze Kitten wrote:
I have size four starter skates. You can try them out at our next session. If they fit then I may consider selling them.

This is awesome! Thanks, I'll let you know x x

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:37 pm 

Quote:
You can borrow my helmet you big loser. Also if you haven't registered that name yet then you should keep it under wraps cos someone might nick it on the public forum!

Thanks you big ol' flap. I should have the rest of the kit. See you in the rink willy wheels x x

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:30 pm 

Hello! I'm a New Yorker thinking of joining up, and I have no idea if I can even stand up on skates. Does anyone have some gear I could borrow for the basic skills session? I'm a British size 8, sadly. Big American feet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:13 am 
Skater

I have size 8 starter skates! Also a helmet and large knee pads. You coming this Saturday?

Last edited by Misha Naccomplished on Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am 
Skater/Director

KidVicious wrote:
Hello! I'm a New Yorker thinking of joining up, and I have no idea if I can even stand up on skates. Does anyone have some gear I could borrow for the basic skills session? I'm a British size 8, sadly. Big American feet.

awesome...are you the gal I talked to wearing the Gotham shirt?

Kitty DeCapitate wrote:
You are actually probably right. You win!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:45 am 

Hi!-

I am a Yank who wants to start up with LRG. I'm planning to come to the Basic Skills practice on Saturday but I'm wondering if anyone has a spare set of gear I can borrow as my gear hasn't been shipped over yet. I wear US Women's size 8. I'm planning to come and check it out even if I can't round up gear but any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!

-Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:50 am 
Rollergirl Emeritus

Hey Kelly - were you the Kelly I met at the after part that tried out for Windy City? can't wait to have you skating with us!! xx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:42 am 
Skater

I do have that pair of size 8 starter skates, but have not heard back from anyone so am not planning on coming to practice today after all... If either of you are still interested let me know and I will try to find a way to get them to you this week.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next