THE LONDON ROLLERGIRLS

no excuses - just great roller derby
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: WHAT YOU WILL NEED!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:07 pm 
Skater

You don't have to start on super snazzy kit with atom wheels and bones bearings, you can start on a £30 pair of skates to find out if it's something you're passionate about. Even better ask if someone who has upgraded can lend you their old starter skates or sell them to you. Same with kit. I've been borrowing kit since day one and that was about 4 years ago. You might not get everything you want and you might have to traipse around London to pick stuff up but it'll mean less initial spend.

Ok, Raw, you are right about this! You're the most sensible person in LRG :heart1:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:08 pm 
Skater

disposable hero wrote:
Hi everyone,

So I'm sure you're the MOST tired of these kind of questions, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway.

I've not wobbled around on a set of wheels for about 15 years, and have zilch equipment. I really want to give it a go, but don't want to go out and spend £££££ and then find out I'm useless!

I've read through many of the posts on here about the importance of knee pads and good wheels / bearings above all else, but just wanted to get some opinions as to where to begin.

Even if I buy the cheapest skates, helmet, etc - looking at the recommended wheels / bearings / pads for newbies, it still looks like an initial spend of around £200. (The wheels and bearings alone come to around £100?) Is this the case, or is there any way around this until I've discovered whether I can move, let alone come to a tryout?

Thanks a bundle in advance for reading my paranoid ramblings :)

To be honest you have to take a risk with derby because there is no cheap option - don't think "will I be good?" the more important question is "do I really want to play this sport?"

If you train hard enough you will learn to skate well in about 3-6 months, it's just like learning any other sport/skill, it just takes practice! But the biggie is whether you have the determination and drive to stick with those initial few months of sucking while you're learning.

Oh and the shameless salesperson I am - I have a good pair of 265 reidells for sale with bearings and wheels for £100, size 6 skate.

Olivia Coupe #51
London Brawling / WFTDA Rep / Coach
Poison Arrow wrote:
whatever Liv - we know you're emo!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:12 pm 
Skater

which wheelsand which bearings,liv?x

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:30 pm 
Skater

little knell wrote:
which wheelsand which bearings,liv?x

Just some bones reds and standard width radars. I'm only selling them with the skates though sorry.

Olivia Coupe #51
London Brawling / WFTDA Rep / Coach
Poison Arrow wrote:
whatever Liv - we know you're emo!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:15 pm 

If you are looking for some very cheap starter skates, I would recommend these:

http://www.skateattack.co.uk/roller-dis ... -1656.html

Website & Filming
=)
ಠ_ಠ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:43 pm 

Thanks for the advice all.

After coming to watch the bout at Earl's court I'm definitely itching to get my wobbly legs on some newbie wheels.

I'm looking at getting either the Anarchy Mayhem / Havoc or the kids' Riedell Volt. I know Riedell is the better brand, but would a kids' skate be worse to start with than the cheaper brand?

Mayhem: http://www.skateasylum.co.uk/acatalog/a ... es-rd.html
Havoc: http://www.skateasylum.co.uk/acatalog/a ... es-rd.html
Volt: http://www.skateasylum.co.uk/acatalog/r ... es-rd.html

Thoughts much appreciated :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:15 am 

Unfortunately you are probably going to get 10 different answers from 10 different people to this question, as there isn't really a correct answer.
The best thing is to think about your budget and how sure you are that you want to get into derby and then go to a skateshop and try on what they have.

Here is some general advice:
- Remember that you will need to buy helmet, pads, mouthguard, ... Depending on the brand, these items are sure to cost you more than your starter skates (= important budget consideration).
- Try before you buy
- Some people go straight for more expensive skates, while others go for very cheap starter skates (I personally went for rio rollers and used those for several months.)
- Use the search function on this forum, all the skates have been discussed before.

Website & Filming
=)
ಠ_ಠ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:51 am 

I don't know if this is any good for anyone, but I have some Anarchy Havocs in a size 6 (UK). Worn for around 6 months, still in good condition. I dunno what to ask for so if anyone is interested make an offer. They should go to a good home rather than sitting on the top of the wardrobe collecting dust.

Training Com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:21 pm 

It totally depends what you are comfortable with - I went for R3s because I had a bit more £££ at the time and read up a bit on the cheaper skates. I stupidly bought the wrong size (I had no idea about sizing) and am now paying the price with pain :( It's worth making the trip to Skate Attack to try skates on (ask for Jo).. and remember, however comfortable they feel.. your toes should actually be in the toe box (d'oh me).

I kind of wish I had spent a bit more for leather skates at the outset - my R3s have lasted 10 months and I'm upgrading already.. I don't want any lasting damage from wearing the wrong size.

Do your research and find out what's best for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8