THE LONDON ROLLERGIRLS

no excuses - just great roller derby
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Looking for summer rental in London
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:51 pm 

Hello LRG! My husband will be teaching at Imperial College for a month this summer, and we're looking for a place to stay. If all else fails, the school will put us up in a residence hall, but we would thought we'd see if we could find somewhere a little more private and with a kitchen.

We'll be there between 26 June and 27 July (or something like that). We're allowed to spend up to about 600 pounds per week. We're looking for something with easy access (walking or tube) to Imperial College (South Kensington/Gloucester Rd). Maybe a long shot...but anyone got any leads?

Also, we've been told that LSE has great family/couples accommodations for rent during the summer, but that we would need to know somebody who has access to their intranet. Anyone connected with LSE who could help us out?

Thank you so much. I look forward to seeing you all in the summer!!

XO,
Menace (Atlanta Rollergirls)

Post subject: Re: Looking for summer rental in London
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:57 pm 

Oh, and I should add that I would need good internet, as I'll be working from there. Thanks again!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:04 pm 

Yay Imperial, there are quite a few LRG people who study or work at Imperial!
What does your husband teach?

I live in the South Kensington/Gloucester Rd area, but you might find it hard to get something for just a month, especially if you are specifically looking for a private place housing only the two of you. Lots of students do rent out places for short times over the summer though often in shared houses.

From what I have seen, the college accommodation is in parts very nice though. There is graduate accommodation near Clapham Junction (en suite rooms with kitchens), maybe you could specifically request something like that?

Also, college accommodation has excellent internet, whereas everywhere else can be variable.

Website & Filming
=)
ಠ_ಠ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:38 pm 
Skater/Head of Web

Have you checked out Airbnb? You can definitely get a studio in the Chelsea/South Ken area for that price for a month.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/1561246? ... s=2&s=Fv2p

#04 Fox Sake

geek-in-chief : boring finance type : forum admin : social media monkey : WFTDA rep : chronic pie-fingerer : printer lady mostly retired

"Do what you want and live with the consequences." -- Alice Munro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:18 pm 

Welcome Menace. I work at Imperial- no idea about accommodation I’m afraid, but South Kensington is pretty accessible and central. Even if you don’t live in the area it’s quite easy to get to by public transport from other parts of London. I live about 5 miles away and I can get there in 20 mins by tube. I reckon Fox’s suggestion of Air BnB would be your best bet.

Otherwise the Accommodation team at Imperial should be pretty helpful for alternative suggestions:

accommodation@imperial.ac.uk

You can message me if you’d like a tour when you get here. The food at Imperial is pretty dire so if nothing else I can give you and your husband some good alternatives.

#240 Batter C Power
Batter C Bout Liaison, Comms, Rec League Training

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:01 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! It looks like the Imperial people are helping us to get a staff apartment through LSE while we're there, so I think we're all set now.

@Lisa: My husband works at Georgia Tech--they have a summer program that they do through Imperial. @Max: We'd be happy for some good eating recommendations in the area. I'll hit you up when we get there.

Looking forward to see y'all! I'll be following your Website/Facebook...I'm hoping you'll have a bout I can come to while I'm there! :)